Do remember reading about my friend Chad? I guess I shouldn’t claim him as my own. Chad has a lot of friends. (If you want to read about him again, need a refresher, or haven’t met him, click here.) What did he remind us that was so important and can help us with our every day battle with stress?
“Don’t sweat the small stuff.”
At the end of the day, there is a lot of small stuff. Yet during the day when we are going through it, it doesn’t seem so small.
Yet Jesus promises us peace, why don’t we go to him first? Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” In other words, we have nothing to fear. He has our back. And, with His help, and a few points we can turn to daily, we CAN get there. If we trust and believe Jesus is true to his word, we can know that he can deliver us.
As we learned yesterday, there are a lot of outside influences that can cause stress. Once you’ve identified your personal triggers, you can start thinking about strategies for dealing with those stressful situations.
Here are some helpful ways:
- Pray. (You just knew I would start there. But, it brings peace!. So…PRAY!)
- Sometimes the solution may be as easy as turning off the television or PC and getting some rest.
- Don’t feel like you have to figure it out all on your own. ASK for help and support from family and friends.
- Take a walk and just get away for a little while.
- Sing. Do it out loud. Do it often
- Dance. Even if you don’t consider yourself a dancer, do it anyway. Trust me.
- Laugh. A lot.
- Pray some more (like how we started AND finished with it? Maybe that is why we stress to Spend A Few Minutes With Jesus every day. Pardon the pun:)
Also, remember that stress won’t completely disappear from your life. Knowing this, it just makes sense that there isn’t an overnight cure. So, take it a day at a time. And, with continued effort, you can learn to manage your stress level and increase your ability to deal with what life throws your way.
By following the steps we gave, you will also increase your prayer life, your dance moves, find time to laugh, and possibly even get your voice to the point of one day being the X Factor!
But, I doubt it.
Realistically, we all just want to get to the point where we don’t sweat the small stuff.